Application: Analyzing Counseling Theories
Theories help to build the foundation for almost all the actions you will engage in as a counselor. In fact, there might be one or more theories guiding your work without your conscious effort to actually use them. Employing an integrative approach allows counselors to utilize a wide variety of interventions and techniques to best address the needs of clients. Although it is common for many counselors to be influenced by one theory more than others, it is imperative that you are mindful of the ways each theory can contribute to your overall theoretical approach.
The Assignments in this course will support you in your efforts to successfully identify, apply, and evaluate theories. In each “Analyzing Counseling Theories” Assignment, you complete a 1-page chart and a 1-page reflection on two of the many theories discussed each week. When selecting your theories, think about how these theories could help to drive your work as a scholar-practitioner who effects social change. At the conclusion of this course, your completed Assignments will become a useful resource that can assist you as you progress through this program and your professional career. Download the chart template, “Analyzing Counseling Theories” from this week’s Learning Resources to begin your Assignment.
Part 1: Chart
- Use the chart template to analyze counseling theories.
- Select two theories from this week’s Learning Resources
- Describe the background theory, human nature, major constructs, applications, and evaluations of each counseling theory.
Part 2: Reflection (1-page)
- Describe a specific population of clients with whom you hope to work in the future.
- Explain which of the two theories in your chart would be the most effective in working with this client population and explain why.
- Describe the interventions you would suggest from this theory and how these interventions would assist this client population in reaching counseling goals.