Write a narrative description of your field project by doing the following:
1. Describe the community where you performed your fieldwork by identifying each of the following items:
• geographical area (e.g., county, city, town)
• area size
• population size
• physical and social environment (use the windshield survey from task 1 of C228)
2. Discuss the health concern you studied in your fieldwork.
a. Provide background information in relation to Healthy People 2020 and local public health data that characterizes the health concern.
b. Provide data from national, state, and/or local levels related to the health concern.
3. Describe the target population affected by the health concern you studied in your fieldwork, including each of the following components:
• demographics, including socioeconomic status and educational level
a. Explain how the health concern is linked to a health inequity/health disparity for the population of interest.
i. Provide specific data to support the health inequity/disparity conclusion.
4. Discuss the primary community resources and partners currently involved with the health concern.
a. Describe how your fieldwork interviews support your chosen health concern, including a summary of the interviews.
5. Discuss aspects of the population health concern not being addressed despite the efforts of the partners involved.
C. Outcomes Identification
1. Explain the desired outcome(s) or goal(s) for improvement related to the health concern.
Note: This outcome or goal should be in alignment with Healthy People 2020 objective.
1. Create a nursing action plan to address the identified population health concern.
a. Recommend two population-focused specific objectives.
Note: The recommended objectives should be measurable ones.
b. Recommend two population-focused specific nursing interventions to improve the health concern.
Note: Use the attached “Minnesota Intervention Wheel” as an aid in selecting the broad areas for nursing action. Select primary and secondary prevention activities only. For example, explain how you and other nurses might work with the community and your chosen target population of interest to improve the health concern.
2. Discuss potential public and private partnerships from your field experience that could be formed to implement your recommendations from parts D1a and D1b.
3. Create a specific timeline for your population-focused nursing interventions.
1. Explain how you would evaluate the effectiveness of the nursing action plan created in part D.
a. Identify the measurable tools necessary to perform the evaluation.
1. Reflect on how your perspective of the community’s health and the national, state, and local efforts toward a healthier population has changed as a result of your fieldwork.
1. Include appendices if necessary (e.g., charts, graphs, copies of any surveys, maps).
H. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.
Note: For definitions of terms commonly used in the rubric, see the Rubric Terms web link included in the Evaluation Procedures section.
Note: When using sources to support ideas and elements in an assessment, the submission MUST include APA formatted in-text citations with a corresponding reference list for any direct quotes or paraphrasing. It is not necessary to list sources that were consulted if they have not been quoted or paraphrased in the text of the assessment.
Note: No more than a combined total of 30% of a submission can be directly quoted or closely paraphrased from outside sources, even if cited correctly. For tips on using APA style, please refer to the APA Handout web link included in the APA Guidelines section.