Conducting a thorough critique of the articles you selected to support your research topic is another important step in the process that is accompanied in the beginning stages of a research study. This process will help you to identify the purpose of the study and ensure it aligns to the problem you are looking to research. Critiquing literature reviews also allows you to determine if there is a need for the study, if the information is out dated, identifies prior theoretical frameworks to guide your study, reveal gaps that exist in the literature, and many other supportive indicators.
For each study, write a 525-word response to the questions in Box 5.4 Guidelines for Critiquing Literature Reviews on p. 112 of Nursing
Type your answers in a Microsoft® Word document.
Include the article’s title before your answers.
Provide APA-formatted in-text citations and references for all sources cited.
Prepare your answers in a Microsoft® Word document.
Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.
BOX 5.4: Guidelines for Critiquing Literature Reviews
1. Is the review thorough—does it include all major studies on the topic? Does it include recent research (studies published within
previous 2–3 years)? Are studies from other related disciplines included, if appropriate?
2. Does the review rely mainly on primary source research articles? Are the articles from peer-reviewed journals?
3. Is the review merely a summary of existing work, or does it critically appraise and compare key studies? Does the review identify
important gaps in the literature?
4. Is the review well organized? Is the development of ideas clear?
5. Does the review use appropriate language, suggesting the tentativeness of prior findings? Is the review objective? Does the author
paraphrase, or is there an overreliance on quotes from original sources?
6. If the review is part of a research report for a new study, does the review support the need for the study?
7. If it is a review designed to summarize evidence for clinical practice, does the review draw reasonable conclusions about practice implications?