Guidelines for the Paper
This paper will integrate ideas from the Caritas Processes in Watson’s Theory of Human Caring into a case study from the theory course. The
objective of the paper is to explore ideas from Watson’s Theory of Human Caring as these concepts relate to pediatric nursing practice.
Students will follow these steps in conceptualizing the paper:
1. Select a case study from the course that interests the student.
2. Review Watson’s theory from the textbooks used in the NURS 314 and NURS 360 courses.
3. Select one Caritas Process that relates to the case study.
4. Develop the paper, following the outline listed below.
5. Content should reflect analysis and critical thinking on the part of the student.
6. Both journals and textbooks should be used as references.
7. Follow APA style when writing the paper.
The following content outline should be followed when writing the paper:
1. Summarize the case study and the health alteration. Describe the stage of health alteration or illness in the case. Explain how the
child/family situation affects the health alteration and treatment plan
2. Describe one Caritas Process that relates to the case. Describe the Caritas Process within the context of the Theory of Human Caring.
Analyze how the Caritas Process is relevant to the case. How would the ideas in the Caritas Process relate to the case? How do these ideas
guide nursing practice?
3. Develop a specific nursing approach that applies ideas from the Caritas Process. Fully develop the approach. This should be one full page in
• The nursing approach should be applicable to the case, and also practical to utilize with patients and families in your own nursing practice.
• Students should reference ideas from the nursing literature (both journals and textbooks) to develop a nursing approach.
The paper should be written in the student’s own words, including a title page and reference page. Avoid excessive use of quotations. Include
page numbers, clear and accurate writing, following APA style. Use double spacing, 10-12 font, with 1-inch margins. Proper reference style for
citations must be used within the paper and in the reference list. Plagiarism guidelines will be followed; use Turn-It-In to review for
plagiarism. Students are encouraged to share with faculty the selected material for review, outlines of the paper, and early drafts. The paper
will be evaluated according to the criteria posted.
Evaluation Criteria for Paper
_____ 1. (15%) Summarize the case study
(5%) Describe the health alteration in the case
(5%) Describe the stage of health alteration or illness in the case
(5%) Explain how the child/family situation affects the health alteration and treatment plan
_____ 2. (15%) Summarize the selected Caritas Process
(5%) Describe the Caritas Processes within the context of the Theory of Human Caring
(10%) Analyze how the Caritas Process relates to the case study
_____3. (40%) Suggested nursing approach
(5%) Reflects ideas in the Caritas Process
(5%) Is relevant to the case study
(10%) Can be utilized with patients and families in your own nursing practice.
(20%) Approach is coherent and fully developed (one full page in length)
_____ 4. (10%) Resources used as rationale for approaches and as sources of content
(5%) At least one journal article relevant to the case is used as a reference
(5%) At least one textbook is used as a reference
_____ 5. (20%) Paper is written in a scholarly manner
(4%) Format includes title page, body of paper, & reference page, with pages numbered
(4%) Paper is limited to 4 pages in length, which includes title page and reference page
(4%) References are cited in the paper according to APA style
(4%) References are listed on the reference page according to APA style
(4%) Grammar, language, spelling, and sentence structure are at a college writing level